Pet FAQs

August 17, 2012 Animal Control, Home Page

What do I do about my neighbor’s barking dog?

Municipal Code Chapter III part 10 section 1001 states that a resident may be cited for a dog that barks for more than 15 minutes, provided there has been a previous warning issued to the owner and the barking is not a result of someone trespassing on the owner’s property. It is preferable that residents try to establish good communication with each other to alleviate conflicts, but if the situation becomes a nuisance, residents may summon police to this non-emergency by calling 911.

Back to top

What are the rules on dogs running at large?

The State dog law mandates that owners have control over their dogs at all times. The best way to establish control is with a leash. Animal Control Officers are tasked with enforcing most calls for dogs at large. You can summon the officers by calling 911 or (412) 279-6911.

Back to top

When do I have to license my dog?

The County Treasurer is tasked with issuing licenses to dogs older than 3 months. The license is renewable annually. The County Treasurer Web site is:

Back to top

What parks in the municipality allow for my dogs to run off leash?

No dogs are allowed in most municipal parks. Dogs are allowed in Bird Park, Robb Hollow Park and Twin Hills Park, but they must be on leash and be wearing a collar.

Back to top

Who do I call with a dog complaint?

The number for Animal Control is (412) 279-6911. The line is answered by Allegheny County 911, but they dispatch Animal Control to Mt. Lebanon calls.

Back to top

What do I do if a dog bites me?

Here are some strategies that could keep an aggressive dog from attacking you:

  • Try commanding the dog to “sit,” or “stay.” This could give you time to think or even get away.
  • Do not make any sudden movements. Rather, keep your hands down at your sides. This may serve to calm the dog down and show that you are not a threat.
  • Do not turn your back on the dog. Canines often take that as a sign of weakness or an opening to attack.
  • Further, do not run away! That will probably only cause the dog to come after you.
  • Don’t smile. Bared teeth may signify aggression to a dog.
  • Back away slowly once the dog stops paying attention to you.
  • If the dog does attack and the wound is serious, call 911. Dispatchers will send appropriate responders. If the bite is not serious, call, (412) 279-6911, and either Animal Control or Police will respond to take a “Bite” report. The officers will assure the offending dog is licensed properly and has current shots. They will also issue a quarantine to the dog owner to ensure the animal is controlled and monitored for infectious diseases.

Back to top

What are my responsibilities if my dog bites someone else?

See answer above. Also all dog owners are obligated to have their pets licensed and inoculated with required shots.

Back to top

Who do I call if I think a dog is being mistreated?

Calling 911 or (412) 279-6911 will bring the appropriate responders to the scene of a complaint in Mt. Lebanon. The officers will assess the situation and take appropriate action, which may include referral to the local humane officer.

Back to top

What do I do if my dog runs away?

Call 911 or (412) 279-6911 and report the lost pet.
The Municipal Web site posts photos and descriptions of found animals in and around Mt. Lebanon, this is known as the Pet Find Project.
CLICK HERE for descriptions and photos of pets currently being housed in the Animal Control kennel. 

Back to top

What do I do if I see a stray dog in my neighborhood?

Call 911 or (412) 279-6911, and officers will respond to capture the animal if possible.

Back to top

Where do I find information about the PA State Dog Laws?

For State Dog laws, click on the link below:
PA Department of Agriculture – Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement

Back to top

Like this Article? Share it!

Comments are closed.